Connect

Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Importance of healthy eating



You will soon begin to realize that I reference a blog titled The Rules Revisited quite often throughout my posts.  This blog, by a man named Andrew, is the site that really got me excited about changing my lifestyle.  A close friend of mine had sent me the original link a couple months ago and I ended up perusing the posts until 3 am! 
Disclaimer: some people don’t agree with many of his posts but if you look at them as an up front and honest example of the way men think you’ll enjoy them more. 
Remember, don’t be a sheep! Read, ponder, and apply as necessary.

One thing Andrew stresses is that beauty is controllable.  Attractiveness can be altered and a large factor is fitness, though apparently your shape is more important than your size.  Taking a look at myself I can see I would fall into the apple category according to this diagram:

(I carry weight in my upper body.  If you look like someone in the top/purple row, You're probably an apple too!)


With the right clothes and the proper fit (not to mention a push-up bra) I can give the illusion of an hour glass figure.  While enhancing my physical appearance this way works for now, I know there is always room for improvement!  I’ve started working out more and i'm trying to eat healthier.  This can be a challenge with my busy schedule and strict budget.

Healthy eating is a key component to fitness, which is something i’ve always known but have a hard time living by.  It’s way easier to swing by Wendy’s on the way to work than it is to prep a lunch in advance.  Fast food may be more convenient, but it’s not better for your wallet or waistline.  Let me break it down for you:

Average dinner at Wendy’s
Spicy Chicken Sandwich
Fries
Lemonade
970 Calories, $7

Lunch today at McDonalds
Premium Sweet Chili Chicken McWrap
Fries
Water
750 Calories, $3.80

1,720 Calories for just two meals.  Considering i’m trying to keep to 1,500 a day (not a strict calorie counter, but I am careful about my choices) that is just ridiculous!  Not to mention that’s roughly $10 for one day.  An average of $50 a week just for eating out.  I don’t know about you but I don’t have $200 to spend just on dining out each month.

If you take a look at my grocery haul today you’ll see that I bought ingredients for several meals as well as snacks.  These items combined with stuff I already have in my fridge/pantry will allow me to eat all week.  All for under $30.  Managing my money this way I can live on $120 for food a month - sometimes less since I don’t go shopping every week.



Example menu for this week:

Snacks:  Salsa and homemade chips, cucumbers, popcorn
Lunch:   BLT wraps w/ roasted tomatoes/garlic and spring mix instead of iceberg
             Salads made with leftover chicken from dinner recipes
Dinner:  Lemon baked chicken w/ quinoa and salad greens
              Bruschetta Chicken w/ broccoli and homemade bread
              Veggie stir fry (peppers, onions, broccoli, carrots) and rice
               Balsamic chicken w/peppers and quinoa

*Note that I had some of these items already.  Plan meals around what’s on sale and what you already have in your fridge!

This menu leaves room life’s little indulgences and I still feel good about myself.  Healthy eating can not only help you save money, but will help you slim down.  You’ll feel better, more energetic, and not to mention you’ll boost your attractiveness! 

Like i’ve said before I’m not perfect.  I’ll splurge on fast food or a dinner out with friends here and there.  I’ll be the first to admit i’m addicted to my Iced Caramel Machiatto from Starbucks.  The important thing to remember is I’m trying, and the proof can be seen in my wallet and waistline ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment