Connect

Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Introduction: You are responsible



        I woke up with a heavy heart, too sad to get out of bed.  The previous night had ended with me breaking up with my long term boyfriend with whom I had thought I was going to move to a new state with just a week prior.

My phone beeps - a message from a friend asking what I would be doing that day.  After a brief rehash of the last 24 hours I’m told to get up and out of bed.  We’re all going to a movie.  The next 8 hours are hazy... I remember my friends being comforting, listening to me cry and whine about how it wasn’t fair for him to do this to me.  It was decided that the best plan of action would be to get totally dressed up and go out on the town.

That night I started out thinking the same way most 20 somethings think when they have just broken up with someone - no one is ever going to love me again; I’m not attractive.  I’m not sure if it was the alcohol or how awesome of an influence my friends are but at one point I actually started enjoying myself.  


I only wish I had moves like this

      I let go.  I went out on the dance floor by myself where I learned the second most important lesson of the night - I was still desirable.

A man I had never met before kissed me that night.  Now I don’t know if it was because we had both had a few too many or any number of other reasons.  The point I want you all to take away is this - just because one man no longer wants you does not mean no one ever will.

The author, Roosh, makes this point that everyone in their 20s should learn sooner rather than later:

“Instead of working towards real change to increase their value, most twenty-somethings instead whine about how life isn’t fair and how bad their luck is, as if there is a concerted effort by the overlords of our universe to keep them single and unhappy. 
You are responsible for your romantic happiness, and no one else. If there is a problem then get off your ass and do something about it, no matter how many years it takes to solve.”

That was 4 months ago and since then i’ve been working on improving myself not just emotionally but physically.  Several people have asked me to record my journey through blogging, with links to the resources I have been using for advice.  This will mostly be an account of how several “how to” blogs have worked - or in some cases - not worked for me (your average 20 something college student).

I am taking ownership of my romantic happiness, something that I have never done before.  I hope you enjoy reading about my adventures... i’m sure there will be many hilarious failures as well as inspiring success stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment